Top navigation Players Media Awards Partners About
Change skin White Black
Partners Intel Medion ASRock Kingston Gamed.de

You are here: Home / Forums / Warcraft III / WC3 is dead?
TOPIC

« Previous1Next »
WC3 is dead?

Recently, a whole bunch of threads about how wc3 is dead and the reasons behind it popped up, but is that rly true?
Since the SK wc3 coverage has been awful lately(which directly contributed to people's thinking the game is dead,btw), I've been checking WCR more often then I did in the past year or two. Surprisingly enough, wc3 related news, great replays, community responses appear in big numbers daily.

ENC
WC3NC
eBet Challenge
Stars War(btw,reborn this year):
Korean Qualifiers
European Qualifiers
Chinese Qualifiers(Sky got voted in)

WC3 still in WCG 2010
Xyligan and Titan playing a bo5 showmatch(according to the responses and the heroes involved-the games seems promissing)
NVIDIA Games Festival featuring all the best chinese players + 2 Koreans that will get invited to the main event(4000$ in prize money)

ESWC is supposed to make a comeback

GOMTV WI(perhaps)
That guy Zontik is still uploading some kick ass replays

I don't think the game is dead just yet

DO you remember what tournaments they play now and what tournaments they played 2-3 years ago???First of all,all tournaments these days are online,that means a lot of problems.There are not big awards for the winners of the tours...As you see many pros retire or go to starcraft.And if you think Zontik replays are cool ok N/C.

Yeah, there are mostly online events. But nevertheless, they include the European scene that seams to be quite alive and kicking recently. Zotac also helps a lot. Those tournaments are also at more convenient times with better coverage than those Chinese invite tournaments. Of course they are not as competitive or have as much price money, but right now I'd rather see Dowaq or Kas owning it up than seeing yet another "pro" patchorc winning yet another tournament somewhere in China.

With the success and excitement SC2 aroused all over the world there is absolutely no chance for WC3.

Simple reason: Old players will retire eventually and there are no new players.

Because they have to chose between a career in an old patchneeding game and sc2 were there seems to be no limit to what you can achieve.

And another reason: What's the f*cking alternative? Wanna wait for a mysterious new RTS to steamroll the whole scene ? Just not going to happen.

There is no WC4 you could wait for.

Thaison_Gay wrote:
With the success and excitement SC2 aroused all over the world there is absolutely no chance for WC3.

Simple reason: Old players will retire eventually and there are no new players.

Because they have to chose between a career in an old patchneeding game and sc2 were there seems to be no limit to what you can achieve.

And another reason: What's the f*cking alternative? Wanna wait for a mysterious new RTS to steamroll the whole scene ? Just not going to happen.

There is no WC4 you could wait for.

I'm not excited about Sc2 at all =/
I just hope Wc3 carries on for another year or two, till I'm done studying, then I won't have time nor interest for esports anway. If it's like SC now, I could live with that. Some online tournaments and some Chinese tournaments that invite or make qualifiers for the remaining 5-6 top Euro players.

not yet but as an esports game it's definitely dying. Many pros retired and/or are trying their luck in sc2, hackers pretty much killed my will to play on bnet, orcs are annoying as hell, teamleagues are done, organizations are not interested in wc3 players anymore, same old maps, same old strategies, no newcomers, most tournaments are online. Well you can tell the current state of wc3 is not looking that good but as funplayer said, as long as the game remains competitive for 1 year or 2 i'm satisfied.

Obviously, the scene is not what it used to be. However, it's not dead yet, and I think that people will still keep playing for at least a year or two. The pro-gaming scene still has a good year ahead, and then after that it all depends when blizzard is gonna release SCII.

Seems about right...Moon finally winning WCG 2010 would be the most fitting ending to this game.

yeah well about that the main question for this year will be: "Is moon able to finally win a WCG ?"

or will he never be able to get the title he desires the most ... w/e WCG will become awesome as usual and as long as WC3 will be played at WCG it can't be called dead :P

When xyligan plays vs titan ?
tell me, tell me, tell me plz

wc3 coverage is very weak nowadays, readmore nearly stopped covering chinese tours at all (only finals tickered), right now the nsl is going and you cant even find the result for sky vs lyn!!!! imagine that 2 years ago, 2 of the best play eachother, its streamed on PPLive, still sites like rm or sk dont care.
sk had the best wc3 coverage by far, when lyn had his prime and posters like foreverman_utd did some staff. now its totally dead, instead every week theres a news how a patchorc just won the zotac in the finals vs another patchorc. i couldnt care less about wco, wcip or that stuff, if lyn vs sky are playing, its streamed, but still noone covers it...

zayl wrote:
When xyligan plays vs titan ?
tell me, tell me, tell me plz

It alrdy happened.You can find the reps on WCR

There's basically only one guy writing WC3 news, and i just got back from IEM finals ;) Still, there's no denying that WC3 has slowed down a lot lately and there are numerous reasons. I do actually think SC2 is contributing to it and i have to say, after playing it at IEM and watching Reis play at his flat, i'm a lot more interested in it than i was before.

When WC3 is dying in China, then you can really talk about the end of WC3 completely.

WC3 Dies for me whenever I stop playing it (kinda selfish aint it??). Till then I just don't care what people say =]

The special quality about warcraft is obviously the Hero aspect of the game. I grew up being a very active hockey player; playing on two teams every year and even playing a year in sweden. Over the years of playing warcraft 3 only just to polish my skills and late night on bnet with my buddies- all playing since day 1. After all that time, this is the first year I have ever even CARED about the professional league-though am sadened to have not had the time to appreciate the scene before now.

Now I played starcraft when I was 9 years old, until 13 when warcraft3 came out...almost every day and have never wanted to join a clan(clans make you rely on other people). Its like a business casual approach to the game, which is the only type of player I feel will keep Wc3 going. Fanboys such as yourselves will kill the game. Yes, you. Sorry if that seems rude, though If you have only found deep appreciation for this game because of Pros or Clans, maybe participation may only be fueled by envy, and not love.

Manlier wrote:
The special quality about warcraft is obviously the Hero aspect of the game. I grew up being a very active hockey player; playing on two teams every year and even playing a year in sweden. Over the years of playing warcraft 3 only just to polish my skills and late night on bnet with my buddies- all playing since day 1. After all that time, this is the first year I have ever even CARED about the professional league-though am sadened to have not had the time to appreciate the scene before now.

Now I played starcraft when I was 9 years old, until 13 when warcraft3 came out...almost every day and have never wanted to join a clan(clans make you rely on other people). Its like a business casual approach to the game, which is the only type of player I feel will keep Wc3 going. Fanboys such as yourselves will kill the game. Yes, you. Sorry if that seems rude, though If you have only found deep appreciation for this game because of Pros or Clans, maybe participation may only be fueled by envy, and not love.

No, it doesn't seem rude. I just don't see any logic behind your assertions. Wether it's a clan or your buddys, you surround yourself with people who share your interest. If anything, it makes the game even more interesting, but most importantly, more competetive which is what makes this game, and everything else for that matter, so interesting.
As for the Pros...WC3 wouldn't have grown into such a complex game if it weren't for the pro scene, and it's the complexity and the depth that makes us love it so much

Warcraft 3 is dying because

-Strategies are way too monotonous since all the weaknesses have been exploited (Hu mass towers vs UD, FE vs elf and tier 2 tower push orc. Orc goes BM+SH/TC raiders walkers vs all races etc...)
-The UD vs Orc matchup is a joke
-Chinese tournaments never introduce new maps to balance the game out unlike Korean mapmakers in WEG (Nighthaven, Silvermoon etc..), which makes the game REALLY boring
-There will always be imbalance in War3, even in mirror matchups due to item luck (who gets more claws of attack wins in Orc mirror) unlike Starcraft
-Blizzard never bothered to fix the hacks

The main concern are the maps still, EI TR TS TM etc....they're boring as fuck. Korean SC leagues always introduce new maps

Its over, folks. Even legends like myself hardly bother to post here anymore.
Poker has priority, WC3 was good while it lasted.

Retards like Nubby destroyed the scene by demanding a final solution for Orc supreme and the development department even listened to him one last time before deleting the game from their harddrives.

One can only hope to see some of the good names in SC2 once again. FreeDom seems to be too busy with Poker as well, but Moon, Check, Lyn...maybe Sweet, Lucifer, ReiGn or SoJu?

THE
OLD
TIMES
WERE
REALLY
GOOD
TIMES

R.I.P 2002-2010

matthew-manhorn wrote:

-Strategies are way too monotonous since all the weaknesses have been exploited (Hu mass towers vs UD, FE vs elf and tier 2 tower push orc. Orc goes BM+SH/TC raiders walkers vs all races etc...)
-Chinese tournaments never introduce new maps to balance the game out unlike Korean mapmakers in WEG (Nighthaven, Silvermoon etc..), which makes the game REALLY boring
-There will always be imbalance in War3, even in mirror matchups due to item luck (who gets more claws of attack wins in Orc mirror) unlike Starcraft

The main concern are the maps still, EI TR TS TM etc....they're boring as fuck. Korean SC leagues always introduce new maps

EI,TS- yes, TR-maybe, but TM- hell no. This map allows for most versatility of all the 4 player maps and is my personal favorite(followed by GW and LT).
Items are a unique aspect of wc3, and allow for amazing turnarounds. They are also a part of the whole hero and creeping concept,which doesn't exist in any other game.
New maps are definitly necessary.
UD vs Orc is,indeed,a joke.Orc as a race is a joke and has become very boring to watch.
Strats have become stagnant.HU vs NE rarely goes into huge economy/80+ pop wars because of the Warden + strong T1 pushes by the elf.From the moment it appeared on TS as a practically unbeatable strat(at least for a while) it was only a matter of time before elves realized it was possible on other maps too.
The lack of UD's is rly sad. NE vs UD is my fav MU and now it happens rly rarely.
The orc bullshit has forced HU's to play the most lameass strat of all time- MK to mass gryphs.
The list goes on and on...

Still,I wonder how some of the older popular strats would workout against today's mainstream....

InactiveLegend wrote:
Its over, folks. Even legends like myself hardly bother to post here anymore.
Poker has priority, WC3 was good while it lasted.

Retards like Nubby destroyed the scene by demanding a final solution for Orc supreme and the development department even listened to him one last time before deleting the game from their harddrives.

One can only hope to see some of the good names in SC2 once again. FreeDom seems to be too busy with Poker as well, but Moon, Check, Lyn...maybe Sweet, Lucifer, ReiGn or SoJu?

THE
OLD
TIMES
WERE
REALLY
GOOD
TIMES

R.I.P 2002-2010

Even MLW has lost his enthusiasm...This will be the death of wc3 :)
Hopefully, we'll see those guys appear in SC2

Lets face it, Wc3 was better before! :)

oh yeah this mlw lost his enthusiasm...now warcraft 3 is dead cause of him...

KeF wrote:
oh yeah this mlw lost his enthusiasm...now warcraft 3 is dead cause of him...

Funny how you try to undermine me with sarcasm,when you didn't even see it in my post.

now compare wc3 to other games that involve money... so ther's like...2/3 games alive?

Matthew, I would very much agree with how blizzard seems to have become laxadaisy with patching to reduce hacking. No other game can replace the creeping hero aspect that IS wc3. And until blizzard takes 10 more years to come out with wc4, something that may never happen, I think that wc3 will live on-though in a state of starvation.

We have benn discussing the same topic for months - wc3 is dead, bla,bla

Simply the game wore off, that's it.The kiddies now play WoW and Dota, no wc3.Just look at the age of the guys who have posted here.Excluding the kid with the cat avatar, there is no one under 19 and majority are 20+.Well, you see what's the problem.During wc3's golden age, that forum was spammed by 13-16 years old kiddies

World does not end with wc3.It's not the game, it's you.You cant feel the same amount of fun with a computer game as you did when you are 16.Simply you grew up and more or less, computer games are for kids/teens.When you graduate from high school new things come on the top of the list for you and the days of wasting hours and hours of playing/watching reps/browsing gaming sites/trolling forums are over.I'd still hit a 5-6 hours playing streak in wc3 if I have people to play with, but I barely do that even once in a month.

hostilepulse wrote:

Simply the game wore off, that's it.The kiddies now play WoW and Dota, no wc3.Just look at the age of the guys who have posted here.Excluding the kid with the cat avatar, there is no one under 19 and majority are 20+.Well, you see what's the problem.During wc3's golden age, that forum was spammed by 13-16 years old kiddies

World does not end with wc3.It's not the game, it's you.You cant feel the same amount of fun with a computer game as you did when you are 16.Simply you grew up and more or less, computer games are for kids/teens.When you graduate from high school new things come on the top of the list for you and the days of wasting hours and hours of playing/watching reps/browsing gaming sites/trolling forums are over.I'd still hit a 5-6 hours playing streak in wc3 if I have people to play with, but I barely do that even once in a month.

Yeah,you're right,especially about the part in the second paragraph. However,you can't deny there is more to it than just us not enjoying it as much as we used to. Priorities change-yes, but the game is still very interesting(even in this patch-aching state)

hostilepulse wrote:

Mature, university-attending bitch ;) Wc3 for life :D

i correct your title : is wc3 dead?

huma wrote:
i correct your title : is wc3 dead?

jesus...are u serious ? :)

As of a couple of mins ago, all the latest hacks have become history :D Let us rejoice for the hack free week ahead of us.

gwt_ds_carw wrote:
As of a couple of mins ago, all the latest hacks have become history :D Let us rejoice for the hack free week ahead of us.

How come?

gtw_ds_carw what do you mean???

New patch :D (if u all remember what a patch is)

Yeah dawwwg.

gwt_ds_carw wrote:
matthew-manhorn wrote:

EI,TS- yes, TR-maybe, but TM- hell no. This map allows for most versatility of all the 4 player maps and is my personal favorite(followed by GW and LT).
Items are a unique aspect of wc3, and allow for amazing turnarounds. They are also a part of the whole hero and creeping concept,which doesn't exist in any other game.
New maps are definitly necessary.
UD vs Orc is,indeed,a joke.Orc as a race is a joke and has become very boring to watch.
Strats have become stagnant.HU vs NE rarely goes into huge economy/80+ pop wars because of the Warden + strong T1 pushes by the elf.From the moment it appeared on TS as a practically unbeatable strat(at least for a while) it was only a matter of time before elves realized it was possible on other maps too.
The lack of UD's is rly sad. NE vs UD is my fav MU and now it happens rly rarely.
The orc bullshit has forced HU's to play the most lameass strat of all time- MK to mass gryphs.
The list goes on and on...

Still,I wonder how some of the older popular strats would workout against today's mainstream....

TM has got to the one of the most bullshit maps ever, if two equally skilled players play in TM and one crept Tome of EXP+ Vapiric aura while another one crept boots of quelthalas and Tome of Agility? Is it a balanced map?

matthew-manhorn wrote:

TM has got to the one of the most bullshit maps ever, if two equally skilled players play in TM and one crept Tome of EXP+ Vapiric aura while another one crept boots of quelthalas and Tome of Agility? Is it a balanced map?

This same argument can be used against virtually every other map in the pool. So what? There is a luck factor,yes, but it is NOT game-breaking. It can be, but doesn't necessarily need to be.

Btw, the majority of the most epic games of all time were played on this very map: TM.

[QUOTE]TM has got to the one of the most bullshit maps ever, if two equally skilled players play in TM and one crept Tome of EXP+ Vapiric aura while another one crept boots of quelthalas and Tome of Agility? Is it a balanced map?

If the boots and agility are on the BM your already weak argument (like gwt said, every map has some item luck) is completely dead in the water.

« Previous1Next »

Partners In Win big ben Mionix